About Me

I started sailing aged 10 with my Local Sea Scouts, 1st Sandleheath, in a clapped out 420 and some pico's. I bought a topper (21050) at age 13 and sailed it at Spinnaker Sailing club Ringwood. Now I'm 6ft and 70 kilos so I thought a new challenge is in order, after floating in a N12 for a season. I'm buying 455 and this is just how I get on I guess... Enjoy

Why 300?

Why 300?

-For a new challenge
-Something Different
-To compete, at least on the water, with Phantoms
-For some Fun
-It's fast, the fastest thing I can sail at spinnaker Sc
-For some competitive racing in class events

Monday 21 February 2011

First Sail

I have to admit I now understand a couple of the points of view about the 300  way more clearly after about 3 hours of sailing. The boat is so rewarding to sail correctly, however on a small Gusty lake I can see how the challenge factor of the boat is going to be huge.

It is a real challenge to do simple things, such as tack effectively and quickly (although gybing seemed somewhat easier), but I hope that through a lot of practice I should be able to get good at doing these. In terms of control the boat is very simple and well set up, I understand the philosophy of kicker, kicker and more kicker; it controls all of the power in the rig and very simply changes the sail shape hugely and it is really noticeable when sailing.

Balance was always going to be a challenge on the lake, but I feel it really is going to be a struggle, however I suppose it's going to make my wind awareness and gust response fairly good I would hope. This is definitely going to be the area where (initially) I need to work on most.

Overall: The boat is amazing, it's so fast in the gusts and very rewarding to sail well. It is also rather a lot of effort to keep going fast!!! It's going to be a challenge/ 'uphill struggle' to get going well. BUT I LOVE IT!

Pictures to follow

No comments:

Post a Comment