About Me

I started sailing aged 10 with my Local Sea Scouts, 1st Sandleheath, in a clapped out 420 and some pico's. I bought a topper (21050) at age 13 and sailed it at Spinnaker Sailing club Ringwood. Now I'm 6ft and 70 kilos so I thought a new challenge is in order, after floating in a N12 for a season. I'm buying 455 and this is just how I get on I guess... Enjoy

Why 300?

Why 300?

-For a new challenge
-Something Different
-To compete, at least on the water, with Phantoms
-For some Fun
-It's fast, the fastest thing I can sail at spinnaker Sc
-For some competitive racing in class events

Sunday 20 March 2011

Progress and Results.

I've been sailing the boat for a few races now and I think I'm slowly getting better. I'm currently sitting 12th in the  club series which considering that I've only sailed the boat about 6 times now isn't too bad. I'm also quite happy as I'm beating a friend who is quite a good Radial sailor.

I'm getting better at handling the boat across the wind ranges which is good news, I guess it's just one of those things which comes with experience. Upwind I can keep my lane fairly well and am starting to use the controls a lot more to depower/power the rig up as the wind changes at shifty shifty spinnaker.

It is amazing how different simple boat handling things can be like tacking, when you have to run around the back of the boat facing backwards (which is something new completely for me), but these are gradually getting better as well.

Downwind and off the breeze I LOVE the extra power the rig has, meaning I can power past the solo's and lasers! I've started adobting the broad reach to broad reach downwind method as running straight down seemed to have no real advantages for me.

I'm still being quite reserved on the starts and throughout the racing as I don't really want to break my new toy in any collisions, but this does have the drawback of having to fight through the leaders to get into clear air and a clear lane but it's all part of the challenge!

Results: http://www.spinnakerclub.co.uk/results/ALICE%20LISLE%20SERIES.htm

In terms of the problems I was having with the boat, they're better now. I thoroughly cleaned out the breather holes which seems to have solved the pressure and leakage issues. It still leaks a small amount, about 1/2 a pint in 3 or 4 hours. I'm happy with that now. I'm still getting used to the boat though so it does spend a fair amount of time dipping a wing but it's all good fun!

Still loving the boat though

No comments:

Post a Comment