About Me

I started sailing aged 10 with my Local Sea Scouts, 1st Sandleheath, in a clapped out 420 and some pico's. I bought a topper (21050) at age 13 and sailed it at Spinnaker Sailing club Ringwood. Now I'm 6ft and 70 kilos so I thought a new challenge is in order, after floating in a N12 for a season. I'm buying 455 and this is just how I get on I guess... Enjoy

Why 300?

Why 300?

-For a new challenge
-Something Different
-To compete, at least on the water, with Phantoms
-For some Fun
-It's fast, the fastest thing I can sail at spinnaker Sc
-For some competitive racing in class events

Thursday 3 March 2011

High Winds High Speeds and a Steep Learning Curve

When I say high winds that I mean is 15 gusting 18 knots, hardly gale force but I was massively overpowered in a couple of instances. I went down to the lake as I had a couple of cancelled lessons at collage which meant I was home by 11:30! Sometimes you have to love the X3.

Basically I learnt an incredible amount about the boat and my skills in it, for example I was trying to reach flat hiked, thus was over sheeting the main, reducing my boat speed. Also I learnt that I need to be more aggressive and rapid in getting back to hiking whilst tacking and gybing, as I was loosing boat speed and dipping a wing on a few occasions.

On to the more interesting stuff. THE BOAT IS SO RAPID!  Flat lake, broad reach, 15 knots = one happy sailor. I am so amazed at the pace of the boat off the wind, I only wish that I sailed more regularly somewhere larger. The lake is just to small when you can reach all the way across in about a minute.  But I love the boat so much!

I got some GOPRO camera footage of me sailing the boat (badly) which I'll upload to youtube and link on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment