About Me

I started sailing aged 10 with my Local Sea Scouts, 1st Sandleheath, in a clapped out 420 and some pico's. I bought a topper (21050) at age 13 and sailed it at Spinnaker Sailing club Ringwood. Now I'm 6ft and 70 kilos so I thought a new challenge is in order, after floating in a N12 for a season. I'm buying 455 and this is just how I get on I guess... Enjoy

Why 300?

Why 300?

-For a new challenge
-Something Different
-To compete, at least on the water, with Phantoms
-For some Fun
-It's fast, the fastest thing I can sail at spinnaker Sc
-For some competitive racing in class events

Thursday 3 March 2011

Mixed feelings

It's a weird thing owning boats, today has had me in two moods.

Firstly I've been thinking about that fact that the boat, although seeming airtight (creating a large vacume when I took the bung out) sucked in about a pint or two of water in about 4 hours of sailing. It's just slightly annoying considering that I've just spent an incredible amount of money on a boat I thought was in better condition than it obviously is.
It's not a massive concern as I'll pressure test it at the club on Sunday and try and locate the leak. Hopefully it'll be a simple fitting being loose, or at worse a minor deck separation along the transom (a fairly easy fix IMHO) but it's just going to be worrying me until then now, what if it's damage to the mast pot. What if it's along a gunnel?  I guess I'm going to have to weight and see.
In regards to breather hole issue, I'm going to try and clean it as best as possible and if it still doesn't work then I may drill a small M1 hole on the front of the cockpit, where it rises vertically behind the mast. Close to the centre line to avoid it being submerged in all but total inversions.

On a brighter note the 2011 Phantom PY has been dropped by 5. Hopefully making it easier to beat them on adjusted time. BRING IT ON!

2 comments:

  1. Bryn,
    It is very common for a 300 to leak, i wouldn't worry about it too much. if you search the 300 mailing list it will higlight most areas a leak can start. Most common areas seem to be the board cast, the mast pot and the transom. All of which are repairable at little or no cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Russ, I checked the Mast pot and roughly around the transom yesterday and they both seemed okay. I cleared the breather hole out and it worked more effectively meaning there was only about half a pint of water in the boat which I'm not to worried about.

    Thanks though

    ReplyDelete